a kate west recommendation
"Once" is a quiet little independent film that defied expectations and became a hit at the Sundance Film Festival. Starring two movie unknowns, Glen Hansard (lead singer of "The Frames") and Markéta Irglová, it quickly became one of the year
Hansard, while a gifted musician (already on board with the project), is no actor and Director John Carney had to beg him to be in the movie after Cillian Murphy ("Breakfast on Pluto", "Batman Begins") dropped out. With no budget and no leads, things looked dire until somehow everything started magically pulling together. Irglová claims to be no actor either and while both Hansard and Irglová were initially nervous about carrying a film, between their collective vast musical ability and director support, they did an amazingly beautiful and very real job of bringing the characters to life (which just goes to show you how "real" real people can be).
The story concerns two seemingly dissimilar people who slowly come to realize their profound similarities. A Czech immigrant (Irglová) encounters Hansard as a street musician in
What stems from that, must be seen and definitely heard to be believed. The music is fantastic and the emotions rich. It is a must-see for anyone loving romance, music, hope and joy. Don
|Directed by||John Carney|
|Produced by||Martina Niland|
|Written by||John Carney|
|Starring||Glen Hansard |
|Music by||Glen Hansard |
|Editing by||Paul Mullen|
- Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová: "Falling Slowly" (Hansard/Irglová)
- Irglová and Hansard: "If You Want Me" (Irglová)
- Hansard: "Broken Hearted Hoover Fixer Sucker Guy"
- Hansard and Irglová: "When Your Mind's Made Up"
- Hansard and Irglová: "Lies" – (Hansard/Irglová)
- Interference: "Gold" (Fergus O'Farrell)
- Irglová: "The Hill" (Irglová)
- Hansard: "Fallen from the Sky"
- Hansard: "Leave"
- Hansard: "Trying to Pull Myself Away"
- Hansard: "All the Way Down"
- Hansard and Irglová: "Once"
- Hansard: "Say It to Me Now"
Post a Comment